Cadence Composition Contest
The Marching Sycamores are excited to present the very first annual Sycamore Drumline Cadence contest! The contest is open to all Indiana State University students and alumni (not just percussionists). The winning cadence will be used by the 2017 Marching Sycamore drumline, and will be archived for future use as well. Through this contest, we hope to engage current members and alumni, and expand the quality (and quantity!) of the cadences presented by the drumline through the marching season.
COMPLETE CONTEST SPECIFICATIONS
- All entries must include a score and complete parts for each instrument. These may be digitally engraved using Finale, Sibelius, etc., or handwritten. If handwritten, the score and part must be legible and free from errors, or the entry will be disqualified.
- Entries will be evaluated on musical intent, attention to detail, orchestration, playability, and the fun/excitement factor.
- All entries are due (in person or via emailed PDF files) by Monday, 31 July 2017 at 5pm. No late entries will be accepted.
- The winner of the cadence contest will keep all composition and publishing rights, but will grant to Indiana State University the right to perform the cadence in perpetuity.
- All non-winning entries may be used by the Sycamore Drumline during the 2017 season, depending on the caliber of the writing. All composition and publishing rights remain with the composer.
- Your entry/entries cannot have been previously published.
- Evaluation and adjudication will be done by a panel of judges selected by (and including) Mr. Corey Denham, Director of the Sycamore Drumline, and Dr. Nikk Pilato, Director of the Marching Sycamores.
- The winner of the 2017 Cadence Contest will receive a $200 prize. If the winner is a current marching member, the prize will be paid via stipend at the conclusion of the marching season.
The 2017 Sycamore Drumline will consist of:
- 5-7 Cymbals
- 5-7 Snares
- 3-4 Tenors
- 5 Basses
Please contact us for any questions you may have, and best of luck!